Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only

    Shawna Buchanan   

Insurer registration

All Insurers:

Insurers must register with the Oregon Workers' Compensation Division within 30 days after obtaining a certificate of authority from the Oregon Insurance Division and beginning to write workers' compensation insurance policies for Oregon subject employers under Oregon Administrative Rule 436-050-0110 (1) and (2). In order to register with WCD, insurers must submit the Insurer's notification of business in Oregon form. All claims must be processed within the state of Oregon.


Insurers using Service Companies:

If an insurer uses a service company, in addition to completing the Notification of Place of Business form, it must also submit a service agreement as required by ORS Chapter 731.475. The service agreement must grant the service company power of attorney to act for the insurer in workers' compensation claims proceedings under ORS Chapter 656. The service agreement must meet the requirements stated in OAR 436-050-0110(3). Until the service agreement is approved by WCD, the service company is not authorized to act for the insurer.

Service Companies (Third Party Administrators):
Service companies handling claims for Oregon workers must be incorporated in or authorized to do business in Oregon and have a location in Oregon for processing claims. The service company (TPA) must employ only Oregon-certified claims examiners to process workers' compensation claims and the company must have a general lines adjuster license from the Insurance Division. (The general lines adjuster license is not the same license a TPA is required to have in order to adjust life and health policies.) Service companies handling only claims for self-insured employers are not required to have a general lines adjuster license; however, before they may adjust claims for insurers, they must meet the full licensing requirements.
Service Company (TPA) Notification of Place of Business In Oregon - Registration Form
Claims examiner certification or call the WCD Benefits & Certifications Unit at (503) 947-7585.
Independent Claims Adjuster license or call Insurance Division Licensing at 503-947-7215.


Please send completed documents to:

Mail to:
Oregon Workers' Compensation Division
Performance Section, Insurer Registration
350 Winter Street NE
PO Box 14480
Salem, OR 97309-0405

Fax: 503-947-7725

If you have questions about this webpage, please contact Shawna Buchanan, 503-947-7673.